Black mold is a specific type of mold that can have some significant negative effects, both on the health of people exposed to it and on the structural integrity of Portland, OR buildings in which it’s a problem. It manifests in the form of black-green spots on moist surfaces that contain a lot of cellulose, such as fiberboard, drywall, cardboard, gypsum board and paper.
Because black mold is attracted to moisture, you’ll most commonly find it in the home in areas that have had issues with flooding, leaks, water damage or leaky plumbing.
Here’s an overview of everything you should know about black mold when you spot it in your home.
Removing the black mold
Typically, it’s best to work with a professional contractor for mold removal, because there’s a good chance the problem could extend far beyond what you’re actually able to see. Any contractor you work with should be certified in mold inspection and remediation.
However, if the patch is small and you’re certain it doesn’t go beyond the surface level, you may be able to handle the removal yourself. Here’s what you need to do:
- Ventilate the area: The spores from black mold are toxic, so having some ventilation coming through the area can help you avoid inhaling them. In addition, opening your doors and windows and running fans and dehumidifiers can help you dry up the air and take moisture away, which will help you remove the growth and prevent additional issues.
- Wear protective equipment: Even if you don’t have mold sensitivities or allergies, it’s still a good idea to protect yourself, just because it’s unpleasant to deal with. Wear protective glasses, gloves without pores and a breathing mask to avoid inhaling the toxins.
- Use bleach: A bleach and water mixture is the best concoction for tackling mold growth. A cup of bleach in a gallon of water should do the trick. Spray it on moldy areas, scrub away with a brush or rag, then thoroughly dry the area when you’re done.
Preventing future mold problems
It’s not enough to remove mold when you see it—you also need to be proactive about taking mold prevention steps to avoid future issues in your Portland, OR home.
You should always be on the lookout for water. Water from flooding, plumbing leaks or problematic appliances can create water damage that, when it gets into a porous surface, could result in the formation of black mold. Remove water-damaged materials as soon as possible if they’re not capable of being thoroughly dried out.
Clean regularly, and make sure you use dehumidifiers in areas where there’s a higher moisture content. Use mold cleaning and mildew removal products as part of your cleaning routines in Portland, OR, particularly when working on the kitchen and bathroom. If you do not have air vents in these high-humidity areas of your home, it’s probably time to think about installing them.
If you believe you have a problem with black mold in your home, it’s important to act quickly and secure the services of a mold prevention and cleaning expert. Contact Active Mold Control LLC today to learn more.
Categorised in: Black Mold Removal
This post was written by Writer