Why Is Mold Dangerous?

December 21, 2020 8:50 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

You don’t have to be a mold expert to know that mold growth is bad news. On top of being a health hazard, mold can ruin your belongings and even cause structural damage to your home. We’re worried about all of the problems mold causes at Active Mold Control LLC, but we’re particularly concerned about its negative health impacts.

While mold is often lumped into one category, it shouldn’t be! There are many species of mold that all cause different symptoms. This post will teach you everything there is to know about mold’s health effects and address concerns like whether you can die from mold exposure in Portland, OR.


One of the most dangerous molds—which can be responsible for infant deaths—is Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum or SC). S. chartarum produces 170 different mycotoxins, or poisons from a fungus. Symptoms from these mycotoxins include rashes, inflammation and hemorrhaging of the lungs and immune system suppression.


Chaetomium is commonly found in homes that recently had floods, leaks or other types of water damage. Mold remediation professionals often remove Chaetomium from drywall, wallpaper, carpeting and baseboards. Symptoms of Chaetomium exposure can include basic allergy symptoms, like red and watery eyes, but it can also be more dangerous. The spores have been linked to neurological damage and autoimmune diseases.


Those exposed to Aspergillus fumigatus experience everything from mild allergy-like symptoms to life-threatening illnesses. Since this mold grows in the lungs, it’s known to cause permanent lung damage or even lead to death. Mycotoxins in some other aspergillus species affect the liver and kidneys and can even be carcinogenic. So, the answer to whether you can die from mold exposure in Portland, OR is yes.


Not all species of Penicillium are dangerous—Penicillium chrysogenum, for example, is known for its valuable antibiotic effects. Others like P. crustoum and P. expansum produce carcinogenic mycotoxins that affect the liver, kidneys and nervous system. The spores in some species of Penicillium are also linked to bronchitis and other potentially fatal lung conditions.


Fusarium is often found outside in soil and plants, but it’s also known to grow in HVAC systems and other damp areas indoors. We’ll often find it under carpeting or behind walls that have experienced tons of water damage.

When people ask why mold is dangerous in Portland, OR, we tell them that it can cause serious infections. An eye infection known as Fusarium keratitis can develop after being exposed to these mycotoxins. In fact, this infection could require a corneal transplant if it’s not found and treated early.


Alternaria is common in outdoor air, especially in the spring and summer. When it’s at high levels, allergy sufferers could experience itchy eyes and some trouble breathing. Although it’s not very common indoors, this mold may be found in electric cables, cardboard or textiles.

What should I do if I have mold?

Regardless of the type of mold you have, it’s not going to go away on its own! Call Active Mold Control LLC for inspection and removal as soon as you spot mold. Before getting rid of your mold once and for all, we can show you firsthand why mold is dangerous in Portland, OR.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *