Do you know what nasty, smelly, unhealthy little substance might be living deep in the fibers of your carpet? That’s right, mold! Mold isn’t just found in dank basements—it can be found in your living room carpet where you sit, play and enjoy family time every single day.
As your local provider of mold prevention services in Portland, OR, we know a thing or two about this nasty fungus. Mold can pop up just about anywhere that has enough moisture for it to grow. Although you can’t see it, these tiny spores can cause disgusting odors, affect your health and even cause structural damage in your home. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to prevent and remove mold wherever it decides to grow. Here are a few tips from the experts on how you can detect and prevent carpet mold.
First, let’s talk about how to detect mold in your carpeting. Mold typically first appears as tiny spores, but its presence can be detected even before it’s visible. Here’s what you should check for:
- Odors: One of the first signs of mold is a strong odor. Get down close to your carpet and take a sniff. If it smells musty and damp, chances are, you have the beginnings of a mold problem. However, mold isn’t the only reason your carpet may smell bad. Be sure to check for other signs of mold growth before you call in the experts.
- Spots: Are you noticing any odd black, green or white spots on your carpeting. If the answer is yes, chances are you’re looking at mold growth. Just like your science experiment at school, those little tiny spots are the early stages of a fungi population.
- Health problems: Coughing, sneezing, wheezing and an annoying rash are all physical affects that can be caused by a mold problem. If you or someone in your family is noticing these symptoms or has aggravated allergy or asthma symptoms, be sure to check for mold right away.
Okay, now that we know how to spot mold once it’s started, let’s take a look at how to prevent mold growth in the first place:
- Clean up spills: If something spills on the carpet, even if it’s just water, clean it up as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Waiting will allow the fluid to seep deep within the carpet, making it a perfect breeding ground for mold spores.
- Reduce the humidity: If the humidity levels are high, take steps to reduce the amount of moisture in the air inside your home. A dehumidifier is an effective way to do this.
- Don’t skimp on carpet padding: Installing quality padding underneath your carpet will help prevent dampness and keep mold from growing.
By following these tips, you can help prevent mold growth in your home, or at least be able to detect it early on. If you already suspect that you have a mold problem in your home, call Active Mold Control LLC, your trusted source for mold prevention services in Portland, OR!
Categorised in: Mold Prevention
This post was written by Writer