The Health Effects of Mold Growth in a Home

October 28, 2019 8:45 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Mold grows naturally out in the world, but the right conditions can lead to mold growth inside your home. If this happens, it can make your home smell bad, look unkempt and be unhealthy to spend time in. Below is some information about the health effects of mold in Portland, OR when you have it growing in your home.

The health dangers of black mold

Mold is a type of fungus, and many molds are black in color. However, when the term “black mold”—also called “toxic mold”—is used, it is in reference to a pretty serious mold problem. Some people believe that black mold can cause severe health problems because it’s a fungus that produces and releases toxic substances called mycotoxins. There’s research suggesting that mycotoxins from black mold are a cause of serious health problems in people who live in contaminated homes or buildings.

Health problems linked to mold exposure

Mold’s impact on health in Portland, OR continues to be studied and documented. Namely, researchers are seeking correlations between human contact with mold spores and the effects on health. Currently, there is no conclusive proof that inhaling mold spores causes symptoms like headaches, memory loss, aches, pains, changes in mood, nosebleeds and mycotoxicosis—more commonly known as mold poisoning. At the same time, mold exposure can cause certain types of health problems:

  • Allergies: If you suffer from allergies, you may be more sensitive to mold that non-allergy sufferers. When allergy sufferers come into contact with mold, they may exhibit symptoms like a runny or stuffy nose, a dry cough, red eyes, watery eyes, a sore throat, wheezing, sinusitis and/or skin rashes. A prolonged shortness of breath may indicate a severe mold allergy. Exposure to mold can worsen lung problems in people with preexisting lung conditions or trigger asthma attacks.
  • Infections: Although most people with strong, healthy immune systems are able to avoid the more serious effects of mold, people with weakened immune systems cannot. The group at risk for fungal infections includes people with uncontrolled HIV, transplant patients and anyone undergoing cancer treatment.
  • Toxic effects: The truth is that all molds—not just black mold—are capable of producing mycotoxins. But the mere presence of mold does not mean it’s producing these toxins. In fact, most cases of mold poisoning result from eating moldy food, not inhaling or touching fungal spores.

Getting rid of mold

All types of mold that grow inside homes should be treated the same. To remove mold from a home, first identify the areas compromised by mold. Start by removing visible mold growth from hard surfaces. Choose a commercial mold removal product, or use hot soapy water or one cup bleach mixed in one gallon of water. Also, consider completely replacing soft or porous household materials—such as carpets, curtains, insulation—contaminated by mold. You might need to call a professional to remove extensive mold growth.

The health effects of mold in Portland, OR vary depending on the type of indoor environment and other factors. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact Active Mold Control LLC. Reach out to us today to schedule a mold inspection!

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *