If mold growth isn’t on your list of top concerns as a homeowner, maybe it should be! Toxic black mold is a dangerous and possibly deadly substance that can trigger asthma attacks, cause headaches and even lead to memory loss in some situations. Since it’s toxic and it can spread rapidly throughout your home, black mold should never be taken lightly. Continue reading to learn a few tips on mold cleanup in Portland, OR.
Always hire a professional for cleanup
Professionals should always handle mold messes, for a variety of reasons. It’s a dangerous substance, and the pros have all of the right gear to stay safe from the toxic mold while they’re removing it from your home. Mold cleanup also isn’t easy—it’s not like you can just go in and clean up a mold-infested area with some Clorox wipes and paper towels. Proper mold remediation necessitates heavy-duty cleaning chemicals that are only available to professionals.
Steps to take before calling a pro
As mentioned above, a professional should always handle particularly heavy-duty house mold cleanup in Portland, OR. However, you can do these things below while you wait for the professionals to arrive:
- Stop the leak/source of water: Whether it’s from a leaky pipe, a hole in your roof or standing water, mold doesn’t grow unless there’s water present somewhere. Your first step in handling mold cleanup yourself is to find where the water is coming from and stop it. Fix the leaking pipe, repair the damaged roof and do whatever it takes to stop water from coming in. If the water source is never dried, your mold problem will never go away.
- Dry area as best as possible: Now that the water is gone, it’s time to try to dry the moldy room or area. We recommend buying some heavy-duty box fans and setting them up strategically throughout the space. You can also open up windows to get some fresh air inside and help with evaporation. If the room has a lot of carpeting or fabric, you’ll most likely have to toss it out, as salvaging a moldy carpet is nearly impossible.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Speaking of tossing stuff, you’ll likely need to be ready to part with some of your possessions. Even if a moldy item is currently dry, it’s still contaminated and can be harmful to your health. Everything from clothes to stuffed animals to couches should all be tossed after they get moldy. As mentioned above, mold leads to all sorts of health issues that you’d rather not mess around with. Just be sure to wear protective gear while getting rid of your old things.
If you need house mold cleanup in Portland, OR, be sure to reach out to the experts at Active Mold Control LLC. No matter the location or scope of your mold issue, we’re the team that can clean it up and ensure your house is clean and safe to live in again. Get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Mold Removal
This post was written by Writer