We often consider our home to be a warm haven, safe from the dangers of the world outside. However, there could be invisible threats lurking inside the house. Mold could be silently festering unnoticed for months or even years, threatening the health of your family and the structural integrity of your home. Mold reproduces quickly and can be very difficult to remove once the mold spores are in the air.
The key is to find the mold in its initial stages, before it overtakes your home. By watching out for the warning signs, you’ll have time to seek mold prevention services in Portland, OR before you have a major problem on your hands:
- Water leaks: Leaks are one of the most common causes of mold. Water dripping from the pipes, behind the wall or through the ceiling could easily lead to mold growth in your home. Leaks need to be handled quickly to keep mold from developing.
- Strange smells: Mold stinks—literally. You may notice an unpleasant smell when you’re in a certain part of your home. It might not be immediately apparent that mold is the cause if it’s hiding behind the walls or underneath the floorboards. The best way to determine if the smell is caused by mold is to hire a professional mold inspector to take a look at your house.
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat: Those with a mold allergy will experience itchy eyes, nose and throat without realizing hidden mold is the cause. Call a professional if you notice these symptoms flaring up without a clear reason.
- Condensation: Don’t immediately write off those fogged-up windows. Foggy windows could mean there’s a high level of condensation and moisture in the air. Inexplicable condensation on glass or pipes could mean mold is growing in the area.
- Unexplainable water stains: Water stains on the walls, ceiling or other surface are often a sign of mold growth. Odd little yellow stains aren’t as much of a concern, but dark-colored stains likely mean mold. The mold typically forms because of roof leaks. If you notice staining, call a professional for mold prevention services in Portland, OR immediately.
- Past flooding: The chance of developing mold is significantly higher if your home has experienced any flooding in the past. Mold growth is practically inevitable after any type of flooding.
- Visible signs of mold growth: Some mold looks white and threadlike, but others will appear in small clusters of black spots. Mold can come in every shade, from gray to green or white. Some are even orange or purple. Any unexplained spots need attention from a professional mold remediation specialist immediately.
Mold can take a serious toll on your family’s health and cause significant damage to your home. Seek professional help right away if you suspect your home has a mold problem. Active Mold Control LLC has been inspecting, testing and removing mold and mildew in the homes of Northwest Oregon and Southwest Washington since 2006. Call us today to get started with a consultation!
Categorised in: Mold Prevention
This post was written by Writer