Mold Inspection and Other Simple Steps to Keep Your Family Safe

March 23, 2018 3:32 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Mold spores aren’t necessarily a big problem, even if they find their way indoors. However, it can pose a problem for your family if the mold lands in a damp location and starts growing. These mold colonies can cause health problems, ranging from allergic reactions to life-threatening illness in extreme cases. Children are especially susceptible to mold problems. Luckily, a simple annual mold inspection in Portland, OR can quickly wipe away any growing colonies. National Poison Prevention Week is March 18-24, and the American Association of Poison Control Centers has some tips to keep children safe from mold, as well as a variety of common poisonous products:

  • Keep common household pesticides away from kids: There are several household items you’ll want to keep out of your child’s reach. Some are obvious, but others you may not realize could be dangerous. They include but are not limited to bath and kitchen disinfectants, bug sprays, weed killers and flea and tick shampoos.
  • Double check your childproofing: You’re going to want to make another check of your childproofing. Look again for any harmful products in cabinets that may be within reach of children. Double check safety latches on cabinets to make sure they’re working. One of the best ways to do this is to crawl around on your hands and knees and view everything from your child’s perspective. You may catch something that you’ve missed by doing this.
  • Read and sort any pesticides: Always read the labels on any pesticides you plan to use to check for what type of problems they can cause. Follow the directions on the label. This will help keep your family safe from accidental poisoning and let you know what to do in case of emergency. Make sure to close and put away any pesticide or poisonous products you use, even if you’re in the middle of a project and get interrupted.
  • Teach your children about poison: This doesn’t apply for very young children, but once they’re better able to understand you, you should start teaching them about how pesticides are dangerous if mishandled. Explaining to your kids what to avoid, and why, can help keep them from accidentally using pesticides and poisons. A bit of basic knowledge will go a long way toward keeping your children safe.
  • Be careful about pets: Pesticides used to control fleas and ticks on pets can be transferred to your children. You should always make sure to follow the instructions to the letter when applying the pesticide to pets. If it says not to touch or pet the dog or cat after applying it, don’t just stop there. Try different ways to keep your child safe. Keep the pet in a room during the time period, or use the time to do something with your child to keep them otherwise occupied. When they’re older, let them watch and learn so they can understand why they shouldn’t pet the pet after applying the pesticide.

These are some of the steps you can take to protect your family from poisonous pesticides. Another easy step is to schedule mold testing in Portland, OR. It’s quick, simple and can potentially be a lifesaver. Active Mold Control LLC’s technicians have almost 40 years of combined experience as licensed mold experts. We can provide a comprehensive inspection to test your home for mold and spores. Don’t hesitate—schedule a test by giving us a call today.

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *